You can get the most from your time by setting a clear set of goals before we meet. Take the following first steps:
1. Get a clear picture.
Ideas of how you want your finished project to look can come from a number of sources. Consider:
- Visiting homes
- Attending home shows
- Looking through home design books and magazines
- Viewing related web sites and TV shows.
Keep a folder of all your thoughts so you can relate these to Kawartha Lakes Construction when we meet. We are developing a design book for your convenience.
2. Think about the space.
- Consider how you will use the newly renovated or constructed space.
- Think about compatibility.
- Think about the space in day and night and throughout the seasons.
- If considering a renovation, think about how the project should blend with the rest of the existing structure. Will the existing structural design limit what can be done?
- Think about the need to blend with your lifestyle.
3. Examine your finances.
- Consider what you have to spend and how you will finance the project.
- Plan the project in distinct, manageable phases.
- Set a list of key project priorities to help maintain the budget.
4. Do your homework.
When looking for a building or renovation specialist, refer to the advice of:
- Friends and colleagues rely on their first-hand experience.
- Your local home builders association they have a listing of local, professional renovators.
- The Ontario Home Builders Association and the Ontario Renovators Council – they support members of your local home builders association.
OHBA site/Peterborough Site
Source: With information from the Ontario Home Builders Association